Empathy 2.30 released
Here we go; after 6 months of work I just released Empathy 2.30 and I have to say I'm pretty happy with this milestone. As expected we didn't complete the full roadmap but I think we have done a good job making our software better and easier to use.
Let's see few of the new things this release brings to our users.
Improved accounts dialog
- The accounts dialog now lives in its own process and can be started from the Gnome Preferences menu, even if Empathy is not running.
- We improved its interface so that you can easily see the status of all your accounts and the detailed status of the selected account.
- We also wrote a new widget to easily configure Facebook accounts.
- The first-time run accounts assistant had also be improved. It should now be more reliable and ask for details when creating the link-local XMPP account (aka Bonjour in Mac's world).
- Thanks to K. Vishnoo Charan Reddy, we gained nice icons for a lot of protocols. Speaking of icons, if someone wants to design a better icon for link-local XMPP I'd be happy to use it. :)
Better chat room support
- Empathy now supports a subset of most used IRC commands such as /join, /topic, /nick.
- It is now also possible to join password-protected rooms.
Better error reporting
- The contact list now displays a nice bar when an account is disconnected. You can easily try to reconnect it or open the accounts dialog to change its settings.
- We also use these nice GtkInfoBar to display an error if something goes wrong during a VoIP call.
- You can now easily send files to your contacts by drag and dropping to the contact list or a chat window.
- The chat window gained a nice search bar.
- Links in status messages are now clickable.
- We stopped pretending to be a library and so dropped libempathy and libempathy-gtk. Those libs never had any API/ABI guarantee and was a burden without real benefits. Plan is to continue to improve telepathy-glib client side API and create telepathy-gtk containing widgets useful for most applications.
- Empathy 2.30 also stopped to dispatch tube channels. Tube applications should now use the very nicely designed Mission Control API. We ported Vinagre so be sure to upgrade it as well if you want to continue to use the desktop sharing feature with Empathy 2.30.
- Empathy can now use the ContactCapabilites interface so if you are using telepathy-gabble 0.9.x Empathy will refuse to send files to contacts who don't support file transfers (such as Facebook contacts for example).
Those are just a few examples, we fixed more than 310 bugs during this cycle! If you are interested in more details, I suggest you to read the NEWS file.
 be sure to have at least telepathy-idle 0.1.6 if you want to use this feature with IRC